Tuesday, August 25, 2009

okay people... this is it... the end of my summer adventure

Hellish adventure getting to akita… never ever want to travel this way again- I hereby swear that I shall never pack sooooo much junk into suitcases, and always double check to see the actual allowed baggage, and get make sure I know how to get from the bus station to the airport… and more things I cannot presently remember.
So, according to my notebook, this is what my day was like (mind you this was on paper, while I was in actuality living this whole adventure in a still very foreign country)
4AM wakeup
last minute packing/ hanging out with the Anguay’s (who are early risers by nature)
taxi at 6AM to bus station – about 6,000 wan
bus from daegu to busan – about 8,100 wan
lost… not sure where to go from the bus station
taxi, bus station to gimhae int. airport – not sure what I was getting myself into, somehow made a deal for 40,000 wan… didn’t have it in local currency, had to pay in US, worked out the conversion, which was about 25 US plus the 10,000 wan I had… taxi driver didn’t go for it, ended up paying 40 dollars- got RIPPED OFF, but made it to the airport.
Got to the airport, went to weigh my bags to make sure they were under 23kg, found out they were both close to 25kg, made a scene unpacking and piling the excess onto my already jammed carry-ons. Got to the counter with my now underweight bags, was informed that I was only allowed ONE bag, almost fainted- recovered and made friends with the counter lady, who ended up charging me for only 12 kg over vs. 37kg, had to pay $44 dollars for the extra 12kg, went back, got my bags through, found a seat to re-pack my excess, which included my vaccum bag of t-shirts- uber heavy, and my suit and dress shirts… ended up fitting my t-shirts and dress shirts in my bags, ended up wearing my suit through the airport, and through the entire flight all the way to the haneda to akita flight… all in all a very long day I would not like to re-live ever!
Oh, and I also had to open the very very large and jammed bags probably a half dozen times because I must’ve seemed suspicious or something! This killed me, because it meant re-packing the bags a half dozen times each… then I had to go through customs and all that jazz… not my easiest day ever.
So, to re-cap,
Check in bags= 45 kg total (for both pieces)
Carry on bags= 18 kg, and 15kg (popie’s bag, and my back pack)
In total = 78kg = 171.6 lbs… carrying through japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment