Monday, July 27, 2009

Seoul’s got Soul

This weekend kicked off with a free, on base showing of transformers 2 rise of the fallen. I loved it, action packed with a hint of nostalgia, nothing better! Then… we caught the 5AM bus to Osan to meet up with the rest of our group that had taken off earlier on that afternoon right after work. We took a slight delay so I could get the final fittings for my suit, then a little shopping, and finally off to the subway and on to Seoul. This weekend was not the best as far as getting around and seeing the sights! With the logistical difficulties we had meeting up with one another, and the discrepancies of our plans, we wasted a lot of time just kind of loitering though out the city. We did manage to see the palace (*****NAME******), which was incredible, huge, and detailed.
It was so big we only probably saw a fraction of it before we ran out of time and were supposed to meet up with Amber’s friend Jeremy who has been teaching in Seoul for a year I think. What we did get to see was the National Folk Museum of Korea which shed some light on a lot of the cultural aspects of korea. The museum was really cool, and I managed to film an entire 2 sections before it was made known to me that there was no filming in the museum at all… my bad. I decided to buy a book called “the lazy man”, just because of the connection I felt to it ☺. I think you’ll appreciate it dev! Then out to meet Jeremy.
The dude is cool, seriously! Great guy, he hooked us up with great Japanese food all weekend! I ate what had to be amongst the top 5 tonkatsu’s of my life that night. He had me won over at that point, even more so because he was letting us crash at his place that night, but then we all met up with some other campers and had a night out. I’ve been thinking about it, and my “night life” in korea is the most “night life” I’ve ever had! It’s good to experience everything once in a while right??? Anyway, a good night, worked to further my sensitive relationship with soju; ended up signing a wall at a bar, explored downtown a little, and had a lot of fun meeting all the other campers from the other sites.
Unfortunately, the night did not go so well for one of my fellow counselors who woke up the next day with her first ever hangover, and has consequently sworn off alcohol for the remainder of her LIFE!!! She was house bound that day, which was fine with the rest of us, who just wanted to recoup a little and relax. We did head out for some food, picked her up something, and had incredible sushi at a branch store known in California- nico nicos. Good stuff! Then, Mer and fam listen up; we went to red mango for some FRO YO!!! You know it! Fro yo in korea!!! And it was good, sooooo goood, especially with the hotness of that day! Yuuummmmmmm! Jeremy also introduced me to some Korean music, and one of my new favorite movies: My Sassy Girl! They tried to make it in the states because it was such a hit up here, but it wasn’t as good from what we heard. I’ve got a copy of it and I shall be watching it with you all when I get back! Oh, and because we had a counselor down, we decided to get home ASAP, which meant our first experience with the KTX (one of the fastest trains in the world). Sadly, I was only awake for the first 15 minutes or so… but it definitely was speedy. And as soon as you get off, there were swarms of drivers vying for our business- a little intimidating, but it gets the job done. The only downside to the weekend was the cost… I did spend a lot of money, a bunch on the suit, but most of it on food- which I am not disappointed with at all ☺!

No comments:

Post a Comment